The parish of Saint Luke the Evangelist began about 1950 as a result of the hopes and dreams of the Knollwood Catholic Association. This group worked to identify the needs of the Catholics in the area.
In 1954, following several requests, Archbishop Karl J. Alter authorized the purchase of land that is the present site of the church property. Monsignor Martin T. Gilligan was appointed to organize the new parish on June 3, 1955. Groundbreaking for Saint Luke Parish took place in September 1956 and the church was dedicated on December 15, 1957.
The early years of Saint Luke are filled with development, innovation, and expansion. The first parish festival was held June 15-16, 1956 and advertised as a festival held by the “youngest and newest parish in Dayton and the Archdiocese.”
Religious education was an important part of Saint Luke from the very beginning. A variety of religious education formats included Sunday morning classes, week night classes, and a summer Day Camp. The Saint Luke Day Camp was offered under the guidance of the Sisters of Notre Dame from Covington, Kentucky.
Father Paul V. Golembiewski worked to establish a school for the parish which opened in September 1964. The school building was completed in January 1966.
About Our School
St. Luke School began in 1961 in Bishop Ford Hall under the direction of the Sisters of Notre Dame of Covington. Work began on the school building we know today in 1965 with the dedication of it in January of 1966. As the school expanded, an addition was added in October of 1971 and included the Library, Science Lab, and the Multipurpose Room (otherwise known as the gym). While originally serving grades 5-8, Saint Luke School began to increase the number of grade levels offered. Transition to the first all lay faculty began in the 1982-1983 school year. Enrollment continued to climb. In 1990, construction was completed of a second addition. This included the Parish Social Center, five classrooms, a conference room, and a computer lab. The building also became handicap accessible with the installation of an elevator. Today the school serves students in grades K-8. During the 2009-2010 school year, the Science Lab was renovated and in August of 2010, the computer lab was updated. Today, technologically, the school has gone completely mobile with a wireless network and one Chromebook cart assigned to each grade level. Student in grades 3-8 have individual Google Apps accounts. Plans call for the addition of a preschool in the 2018-19 school year. St. Luke School has always been known for excellence in preparing students religiously as well as academically.
The school colors are royal blue and gold. The school mascot is the Lion.